Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Apple-Oatmeal Cookies

Once when I was quite little, my mom made Toll House cookies but left out the chocolate chips, and instead added apples and cinnamon. This bold substitution was a stunning move, even for a Home Ec teacher. They were so good that I spent the next 30 years dreaming about them and then finally got off my butt and made them. They were almost as good as my memory served but needed some improvements for the adult palette.  The most successful batch ever was in March 2007. Here's that combination:

1½ sticks butter (If you use other shortenings, I'll never tell.)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
¼ c. applesauce
2 eggs
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 ½ c. flour
2 c. rolled oats (I prefer to pulse them in the food processor until they are quite fine.)
½ c. raisins, preferably golden
1 c. apple, peeled and chopped finely
6 or so dried apricots, minced
  
Cream butter with sugars.  Add applesauce and eggs.  Mix well.  Add salt, baking soda, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix in flour, then oats.  Add raisins, apple, peeled and apricots.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for approximately 9 minutes, in 375 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment