Monday, March 21, 2011

Spicy Hungarian “Sausage” and Lentil Stew

Once upon a time, I used to work out at the Y on Marshfield. This worked out fairly well. My daughter would take a swimming class and I'd get in some exercise. One problem: The Food Network played constantly on the TVs about the machines so I'd spend my work outs memorizing and mentally adapting recipes, grab V, then immediately head around the corner to Whole Foods to buy the ingredients. (It felt slightly counter-productive but I have some good recipes from that time.) 


This was a Rachael Ray special from the winter of 2007 that I changed eighteen ways to Sunday. I remember that it was originally called it something sort of stupid, like "stoup" but I wouldn't do that if I were you.
  • @ 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
  • 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
  • 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, intact on stems
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted chopped tomatoes, such as Muir Glenn or, regular diced tomatoes
  • 6 cups vegetable stock (approx.)
  • 4-5 cups fresh spinach, chopped (can also use kale or swiss chard)
  • I box Boca Italian sausage (4 in package), cook according to directions and slice into bite-sized chunks
 Heat a medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil then add garlic, onions and mushrooms. Cook a few minutes, then add carrots, lentils, potato, salt and pepper, bay leaf, paprika and rosemary (leaves will fall from stems as stew cooks). Add tomatoes and broth and cover pot then raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Uncover pot and turn heat down a bit but keep stew at a good rolling boil. Cook 15 minutes until lentils and potatoes are tender. Remove rosemary stems and turn off heat. Add “sausage” and greens. Let stand 5 minutes.


Yield: 8 servings 

No comments:

Post a Comment